Thank you from your winner – Jonny!

jonnybrooksbartlettThank you thank you thank you so much for providing me with such an incredible experience over the course of the two weeks. I didn’t imagine winning this, which is the cherry on the top to be honest. It’s been amazing.

Initially I didn’t know whether I should enter I’m a Scientist Get me out of Here. I’ve not really done much written science communication before and I didn’t know how I would come across without actually being present. After a little while I decided I would do it because it would only improve my writing skills.

One thing I wasn’t prepared for was the breadth of the questions all of us scientists were asked. It made me realise how much I didn’t know. All of the students clearly have the correct minds for science. It’s fantastic to see. Even the non-scientific questions such as whether I prefer McDonalds or Burger King. I really hope that our answers to these questions showed you that we scientists are also just ordinary people and there’s nothing special about us (by the way, KFC is the best).

The live chats were incredibly intense but also very fun. It’s been a while since 30mins just whizzed by in what felt like a 10 min chat period. The moderators did a fantastic job in making sure everything ran smoothly to so thank you.

I would like to thank the other scientists: Paul, Alison, Martha and Hannah. They have all been great. Answering your questions, ones that I didn’t even know how to answer too. They were also incredibly supportive and it was a very friendly competition which at times didn’t even feel like a competition because it was so friendly.

Finally I want to thank all of you, the students for making this such a fun experience. I hope that all of the scientists have inspired you with our answers and convinced you can really be a scientist if that’s what you really want to be.

I wish you all the best and good luck for the future in pursuing your dreams.

Posted on June 30, 2015 by modangela in News.